SMALL MONUMENTS

These are ordinary objects that conjure a past association for the person to whom they belong. They were exhibited at the Blackfish Gallery Window, 420 NW 9th, Portland, Oregon 97209. March 3 – 29, 2008.

Submit an object: Send me an e-mail with: (1) A small jpeg photo of the object, (2) A description of it and, (3) A short explanation of why it is important to you. (Click on "My Complete Profile" to the right to send me an e-mail.) I'll post your submission.

"A childhood memory: I loved standing on my dad’s feet while he danced with me; he wore “Wingtips." After he died I found these shoes in his closet, and sent them away to be bronzed, like baby shoes. Now I keep them by the door where I take off my shoes when I come home."

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Lion - o The Reminder - Amber Marie Oxford


"This piece is the only thing I have from one of the most influential and short lived women in my life. My Aunt was house bound from heart complications and diabetes and I had the pleasure of spending over a week with her one summer. As we stayed up late, she'd crochet and enchant me with tales of her childhood and my ancestry. She taught me what real beauty and strength is within myself and to never forget it. I was delighted when she gave me this lion, for her finished projects were few and far between from the operations and sicknesses she had. He reminds me of her, always."

Amber Marie Oxford

No comments: