SMALL MONUMENTS

These are ordinary objects that conjure a past association for the person to whom they belong. They were exhibited at the Blackfish Gallery Window, 420 NW 9th, Portland, Oregon 97209. March 3 – 29, 2008.

Submit an object: Send me an e-mail with: (1) A small jpeg photo of the object, (2) A description of it and, (3) A short explanation of why it is important to you. (Click on "My Complete Profile" to the right to send me an e-mail.) I'll post your submission.

"A childhood memory: I loved standing on my dad’s feet while he danced with me; he wore “Wingtips." After he died I found these shoes in his closet, and sent them away to be bronzed, like baby shoes. Now I keep them by the door where I take off my shoes when I come home."

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Antonia's Taler - Antonia Lindsey

“The silver pin on this flowered scarf was made from a coin in Nazi Germany, hammered and pierced to reveal a song bird. My mother wore it, singing through months of incarceration in a Russian prison during the occupation, after receiving this gift from her mother, Antonia, the church singer and resistor who refused to sing anymore in protest of orders from the Gestapo that sent their pastor off to the death camps. When I wear these symbols, I connect to the legacy of the song, or the silence it it’s place, the value of each person’s own statement in times of oppression.”

Antonia Lindsey

No comments: