SMALL MONUMENTS

These are ordinary objects that conjure a past association for the person to whom they belong. They were exhibited at the Blackfish Gallery Window, 420 NW 9th, Portland, Oregon 97209. March 3 – 29, 2008.

Submit an object: Send me an e-mail with: (1) A small jpeg photo of the object, (2) A description of it and, (3) A short explanation of why it is important to you. (Click on "My Complete Profile" to the right to send me an e-mail.) I'll post your submission.

"A childhood memory: I loved standing on my dad’s feet while he danced with me; he wore “Wingtips." After he died I found these shoes in his closet, and sent them away to be bronzed, like baby shoes. Now I keep them by the door where I take off my shoes when I come home."

Monday, March 10, 2008

Kathryn Pomeroy's Leather Jacket - Rebecca Brock


"The story goes that Aunt Kathryn went deer hunting with Uncle Pat and their son Tim every year. They road horses up into the mountains where they set up camp and hunted the deer. Out of deep respect for the deer that they hunted for food, Aunt Kathryn made the deer skin into a coat, buttons craved out of antler. I inherited the jacket because I am like her in many ways."

Rebecca Brock

No comments: