SMALL MONUMENTS

These are ordinary objects that conjure a past association for the person to whom they belong. They were exhibited at the Blackfish Gallery Window, 420 NW 9th, Portland, Oregon 97209. March 3 – 29, 2008.

Submit an object: Send me an e-mail with: (1) A small jpeg photo of the object, (2) A description of it and, (3) A short explanation of why it is important to you. (Click on "My Complete Profile" to the right to send me an e-mail.) I'll post your submission.

"A childhood memory: I loved standing on my dad’s feet while he danced with me; he wore “Wingtips." After he died I found these shoes in his closet, and sent them away to be bronzed, like baby shoes. Now I keep them by the door where I take off my shoes when I come home."

Friday, March 14, 2008

Grandma Angelo's Apron and Mug - Ellen Bossen


"We use to go to grandma Angelo's house in the summer. Five kids in my family and all of our cousins, at least a dozen running around. She fixed country breakfasts: oatmeal mush, eggs, bacon, and flapjacks. The special part was the hot chocolate in mugs that were thick green or tan glass and, if she had marshmallows to put on top of the hot chocolate we would be so happy. Round salt and pepper short curly hair, round rosy cheeks and rounded everywhere else. She would tie her yellow apron with a torn pocket around her waist and the band would be swallowed up above a rounded tummy."

Ellen Bossen

No comments: